Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dolly Days - Tell us about your dolly!

The Dolly Days BOM begins in just a few weeks, and I thought it would be fun to reminisce with you about our favorite dollies!


There are just a few spots left in this program, so sign up today!


Tell us about your favorite doll growing up.  How did she get her name?  What are some of your favorite memories of your doll?

Here is what some of the girls here had to say:

Julie - My favorite doll was named Jessica - named after the neighbor's grandbaby.  (I always named my dolls after real babies!)  My best friend also had a doll named Jessica, but hers was bald and mine had beautiful brown curls.  In time, however, those brown curls turned into a matted mess!  When I got older, my mom displayed Jessica in our home, wearing a dress and bonnet my great-grandmother wore as a toddler.

Tiffany - My favorite doll growing up was my very first Cabbage Patch Kid that my grandmother made me for my 3rd birthday.  My grandma sewed the body and attached a Cabbage Patch doll head!  She also made about ten different outifts for the doll, as well.  I don't remember the doll's name, but my grandma still has a picture of me and the doll on her fridge!

Liz - I didn't have a favorite doll growing up, but my sister did.  One time we were playing and needed a boy doll, so I took my sister's favorite doll and cut off all of her hair.  To this day, my sister has not forgiven me!

9 comments:

  1. I didn't like dolls, but played with my semi truck and gun and holster set instead. One Christmas or birthday I got a doll that you could feed bottles of water, and then if you gently pushed it's stomach, it would cry "real tears". I wasn't too interested until I discovered that if I punched it in the stomach, it would squirt tears several feet! Believe it or not, today I'm a loving mother of 3 well-adjusted children. lol. But I've never been a girly girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Dolly Parten count??? I'm just being silly. I am a true lover of dolls. I had only one as a child, as I was born in the depression, and didn't have much money. Her name was Patty Ann, every Christmas instead of new toys, my mom would make clothes, and a bed of some sort, made from a box, and covered with fabric, and I thought I was on top of the world. I still have Patty Ann, and love her as much as I did then. I was so thrilled when I found out that my first grandchild was a girl, but unfortunately dolls were not her thing. She was into sports, and is now studying to be a doctor, but she is a "doll"....and I love her to pieces. I also loved paper dolls, and was excited when the paper doll fabric came out. Of course I had to make the quilt. I also want to mention that I love your site, and look forward to the blogs each day, and think that you are a "doll" also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I had a favorite doll! When I was 7 or 8 my mom worked with a lady that made rag dolls and she made one for me. Not a Raggedy Ann, just a little rag doll with yellow yarn in braids for hair, an embroidered face and a green pinafore I named Melanie. I loved her from the minute I saw her and slept with her every single night for years. Then one day...I was about 11, I got home from school and my cat had scratch Melanie's face open and pulled the stuffing out. I was devastated!!! I cried the entire evening and when my folks tucked me in, mom handed me Melanie, all fixed up. She had a few scars to be sure but she was still beautiful to me and believe it or not, I slept with her until I graduated High School. Then she sat on my dresser at night and on my bed during the day. I had her for years following that but after but lost her in a move to California after my new hubby return from Vietnam. Somewhere, in all my bags and boxes of photos, there are pictures of me with her. How I wish I still had her. Lots of memories in that one little rag doll. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This ages me, but my favorie doll was a "Toni" doll -- supposedly you could give her a perm -- I never tried that. Even then, I was pretty cautious! Her name is Judy and I still have her. See you guys at Road to California tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so old! We won't go there, but does anyone remember celluloid dolls. They were usually bought at the 5 and 10 cent store, very cheap and if you pressed against them really hard, it left a dent forever! Well, I had one about 8 inches tall and my mother made it many, many clothes from her sewing scraps. Wish I had kept it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not play with dolls much. I was a tomboy but when I did play it was usually with my sister and her Barbie dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite doll was a Baby Dear doll made by Vogue Dolls. She had a cloth body with vinyl arms,legs and head. Soft blond rooted hair. I think I named her Elisabeth{it's been a long time}. I loved that doll more than any other and once while playing with her her leg came off. We took her to the store where purchased so they could send her to be fixed but when I found out she would be gone for a few weeks I refused to leave her. My mom sewed the leg back on that evening while I slept. Still have her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dolls were not for me. Send me outside and I was happy to play climbing trees, running, and doing out of doors activities.

    When I was older and learned to sew, I did make doll clothes for my younger sisters. They enjoyed playing with the dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember getting Mattel's Tippee Toes doll for Christmas when I was maybe 7 or 8. She was sitting on her tricycle under the tree Christmas morning. Loved her! :) Fun to read the posts of tomboys. My only GD is a tomboy & never been into dolls though I have tried to change that...lol

    ReplyDelete