Monday, November 4, 2013

Meet Jessie

8 months and counting!
Hello! On October 9th, I introduced myself and promised to tell you more about myself. You'll be seeing more of me on here, so we wanted you to have a glimpse at the face behind the name.

My name is Jessie, and I was born twenty-some years ago today and raised within 20 miles of Shabby Fabrics’ location. My childhood was filled with playing outside, camping with my family, riding horses and enjoying all the beauty that North Idaho offers. I am blessed to have a wonderful grandmother who taught me how to sew, quilt and crochet. I always loved packing up whatever project I was working on at the time and spending the night at Grandma’s house to sew with her.

My aunt inherited the same quilting gene from my grandmother though I think she got a stronger dose of it! We get to see each other every day now at Shabby Fabrics.

Sue (left) and Jessie (right) for Shabby Fabrics Wears Pink!

From the time I left for college in Michigan at 17 until I was 23, I was a bit of a nomad. During those six years, I bounced back and forth between Idaho, Michigan and Illinois. I studied, traveled and fell in love.

My husband's graduation from the Fire Fighter Academy

After a year of marriage and pregnant with our first child, I came back to my true home and brought my husband with me! Transitioning from Chicago to North Idaho has been a big change for him, but he has fallen in love with Idaho too. We moved in next door to my grandma and are putting down permanent roots for our family.

Fall 2012
(photo courtesy of Burnett Photography)

Two years ago last month, we welcomed our daughter Harper into our family. She has been a joy to us and everyone she meets! In a month (give or take a few days), another little one will be joining our family! We're all eagerly anticipating the day we find out if Harper will have a baby brother or sister.

Enjoying a day at the beach with Harper
Boy or girl? Leave your guess in a comment!

The last sewing project I finished was a t-shirt quilt made from my husband’s collection of fire department shirts. He would have worn them until they literally fell off him, but I convinced him that a quilt would be a good way to preserve the shirts and memories attached to them. Thankfully, he loves the quilt and wasn't upset about his favorite shirts being cut up! He keeps the quilt at the fire department where he is an active volunteer. The fleece backing keeps him warm on long, overnight shifts.

During this stage of life, I haven’t been able to quilt much. Being surrounded by fabric all day inspires me to create, but a two-year-old's hands and a growing belly have gotten between me and my sewing machine. For now I am content to browse our shelves of fabric, dream and live vicariously through your sewing projects!

Since starting here a couple months ago, I've been learning my way around Shabby Fabrics. I am excited to get to know you—our customers and fans—through The Shabby, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter! Your feedback will always be appreciated too. Feel free to let me know what you like and what you would change about what you’re seeing on our blog and other social media networks. You can contact me at jessie@shabbyfabrics.com. I’m here for you—our loyal customers—and want to be providing the information and inspiration you’re looking for from us!

In closing, I want to share with you my current favorite fabrics here at Shabby Fabrics. I think I have a new favorite though as soon each new collection comes through our doors! Right now, I'm loving the fun flowers and soothing colors of Moonflower. This collection encourages me to take a deep breath and relax before my nights of little sleep start again!


Until next time,
Jessie

12 comments:

  1. I will guess that Harper has a little brother! :) I love Moonflower also! I have been wanted to make a quilt in greys and yellows. Best wishes with the new addition to the family. Mylissa.gholson@srcaccess.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you know which fabric to use for your grey and yellow quilt! And thank you--we're very excited about the new addition!

      Delete
  2. Well if Harper has a sister you can save a lot on baby clothes. I like the grey portions of Moonflower but yellow is not a colour I ever seek out to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true as I have boxes and boxes of girl clothes already! What is your favorite color to pair with grey?

      Delete
  3. My guess is it is a boy. Have a 50/50 chance of being correct, right? :)

    Love the fabrics in the Moonflower collection, especially the ones that look like arched windows. Reminds me of some of the buildings near my work!
    Sandy A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50/50 chance that you will be correct; 100% chance it will have blond hair and blue eyes!

      Delete
  4. Boy or girl is not that important, I hope you will get a healthy baby and that you and your family will enjoy the time she spend o this earth!
    Wishing you all the best! Greetings
    Lida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right--a healthy baby is the most important thing.

      Delete
  5. Nice to meet you, Jessie. I'm guessing you have a little boy on his way. Prayers for health for you all. God bless you and your little family.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm... I would guess a little boy is on the way! :) I love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There sure are a lot of guesses for a boy! We shall see... :)

      Delete