Thursday, January 2, 2014

Meet Julie

Julie is joining us on The Shabby today to tell you more about herself. She is an integral part of Shabby Fabrics and Jennifer's right-hand woman!

Jessie: How long have you been at Shabby Fabrics?
Julie: I’m in my 5th year, and I can’t believe it has been this long! I started when the company was still in Jen’s backyard and it has been incredible to see the business grow. I started out cutting fabric for orders and BOMs, and it was going to be a temporary position as I had plans to move out of state.  That never happened though, and now I have more responsibilities than I can list. 


Jessie: What are some of those responsibilities?
Julie: (laughs) You name it, I do it. All of the graphic design for the website, emails, and print advertising is my responsibility; along with writing and making diagrams for the Shabby Fabrics patterns; screening, interviewing, hiring, training, and supervising employees; helping to oversee completion of Block of the Month programs; ordering fabric and supplies; creating all of the files for our laser programs; and jumping in wherever needed in the warehouse. I’m never bored, that’s for sure!

Jessie: What is your favorite aspect of working here?
Julie: I really enjoy having such a wide variety of tasks. It makes every day different and I don’t have the chance to get bored doing just one thing. I also really like how I have the opportunity to learn new things all the time. Jen will say, “Hey! We need to figure out how to do such-and-such” and I’ll Google and Bing and Wikipedia until I've found how to do it. It’s great!

Jessie: Do you sew/quilt/craft?
Julie: Yes! Growing up I took all kinds of art classes so I was always getting the chance to be creative. I've dabbled in a wide variety of artistic or crafty things and always have a project going. These days I find that I don’t do it as much as I would like, so I host “Saturday Crafternoon” events for my friends. About one Saturday a month during the colder part of the year, I make a big pot of soup and invite a bunch of friends over for the day. We each work on different projects, talk, laugh, eat, and have a good time. It’s wonderful!! Lately I've enjoyed making wreaths for my front door.

See more wreath ideas here

Jessie: Who taught you how to sew?
Julie: I learned how to sew and quilt from my mom. When I was really young, she would let me sit on her lap while sewing, which gave me the best viewpoint (sometimes blocking her own, I’m sure) for using a sewing machine. She taught a sewing class to a group of me and my friends when I was about 8 or 9. Shortly after that I made my first quilt. It was a little doll quilt made out of charm squares. My second quilting project was a full-size bed quilt with over 1000 pieces. I picked out the fabrics and started cutting the squares when I was 12 or so, and needless to say I didn't get it finished until I was in college! But it turned out great and I get to look at it every day.

Julie's 1000-piece quilt

Jessie: What is your current project?
Julie: One of the many things I’m working on right now is one of our Block of the Month quilts: A Critter Christmas. These little guys are so adorable, I just couldn't resist!

A Critter Christmas

Jessie: Tell us more about your background/family...
Julie: At this point in my life I’m not a wife or a mom, so my family consists of my parents, two brothers, sister-in-law, and three amazing nephews. My family is one of my greatest loves, and I’m so blessed to be close with them.


Julie with her two of her adorable nephews

We try to get together several times a year--we actually just spent Christmas together! We all have a love of nature (including an unspoken pact about not divulging the locations of our huckleberry picking patches!), a quirky sense of humor, and an enjoyment of creating all kinds of things by hand. I also LOVE New York City and was blessed to be able to give my parents the grand tour this past September.

Julie with her parents in New York City

Jessie: What did you do for Christmas? What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Julie: I was lucky enough to spend Christmas with my entire family this year. The kids are at really fun ages so it is pretty awesome watching them learn new things (i.e. how to crawl, how to rhyme). A tradition that my mom and I have started with my nephews is to decorate a gingerbread house. This year was a gingerbread train, and it was so cute!


Jessie: Do you have a New Year's resolution?
Julie: Well, with my 30th birthday on the horizon, I've decided to make a list of 30 things to accomplish this year. I haven’t written the list yet, so maybe my New Year’s resolution is to accomplish THAT!

Jessie: Tell us about your plans for your upcoming birthday...
Julie: I’m still trying to figure out how best to celebrate this milestone! I think I’ll have a nice brunch with my parents, then spend the afternoon crafting, and top of the day with a nice dinner out with friends. Maybe some time at the spa will be in the works, as well!

Jessie: What is your favorite fabric collection and why?
Julie: Sarah's Collection is a brand-new collection and it immediately caught my eye (and heart) because of the green and pink color combination--I just love those colors together!

Sarah's Collection by Jennifer Chiaverini

Thank you, Julie, for letting us get to know you better! We wish you a very wonderful and memorable birthday!

Julie talked about hosting a "Saturday Crafternoon" event for her friends--have you ever done something like that? Look ahead for a special blog series featuring craft ideas, recipes and more to help you start your own "Saturday Crafternoon" tradition with friends.

Until next time,
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment