Thursday, February 6, 2014

Meet Dani

If you’ve ever called us, there’s a good chance you heard a sweet Southern accent on the other end of the line. Today on The Shabby we want to show you the face behind that voice.

Jessie: Let's start by clearing up some confusion for our customers. What do you say when you answer the phone?
Haha! "Thank you for calling Shabby Fabrics, this is Dani."

Jessie: And what are some of the names customer have thought they heard you say?
Dani: Sandy, Annie, Tammie, Andy or whatever else rhymes with Dani!

Jessie: How did you get your name?
Dani: My dad wanted me to have a "boyish" name so I would be a good ball player. My name is actually "Dani (Danielle)" on my birth certificate. Yep, parentheses and all! At first my dad's plan backfired a little as I a very prissy girl growing up. One time when told I needed to wear jeans to go play in the snow, I insisted on wearing my skirt over my jeans! But in 6th grade I started playing sports and did really well.

Jessie: Tell us a little more about your family and background.
Dani: I was born in Seattle, but we moved around a lot with my dad’s job. We ended up in Coeur d’Alene when I was in the middle of third grade, and my family has been here ever since. I’m the only girl and have three brothers, one younger and two older. I have a daughter named Riya who is 18 months old now. I also have four nieces and three nephews.

Dani and her precious daughter, Riya!

Jessie: So, if you didn’t grow up in the South, how did you get your accent?
Dani: After graduating high school, I went off to college on a softball and volleyball scholarship. I attended St. Andrews University in North Carolina, and I loved it so much that I stayed in the area afterwards. I lived there for about seven years altogether.

Dani's softball and volleyball career started in high school.

Jessie: And you picked up the accent while you were there?
Dani: Yes, I definitely did! When I came home during the summer to work, customers would always ask what part of the South I am from. My dad especially catches my accent all of the time.

Jessie: What did you study at St. Andrews?
Dani: Art, mostly drawing and painting. Below is a picture I drew in college that won "Best of Show" at a local art show.

Dani won "Best of Show" with this masterpiece.

Jessie: So what brought you back to North Idaho and to Shabby Fabrics?
Dani: I missed my family and wanted to be near them while I raise Riya. In the spring of 2012, I moved back to North Idaho. After my daughter was born a couple months later, I found this job and have been here ever since! My previous job in North Carolina was similar to what I do here but for a fine art printing business so it was an easy transition. I regret moving back though when it snows like this!

Jessie: What do you do here?
Dani: Haha, um, mostly answer the phone. I’m the first line of defense for phone calls, emails and taking orders. I also do a lot of the shipping. I make all of the order labels that leave the building, and I do a lot of the packaging. I do a little bit of everything I guess.

Another one of Dani's drawings.
Jessie: What is your favorite part of working at Shabby Fabrics?
Dani: I really like the people that I work with; it’s like having a second family. I like Jennifer—she’s always willing to help out if you have a need. It’s a great environment to work in. My other favorite part of work is that I can wear flip-flops! I would DIE without flip-flops in the summer!

Jessie: Finish this sentence:
"My job would be easier if someone invented a..."
Dani: A clone of myself!

Jessie: What do you do when you’re not working?
Dani: I mostly goof around with Riya. She’s very busy, busy, BUSY girl. She’s a little daredevil, and I always have to keep my eye on her. Riya is always on the wild side until we get around other people and then she’s shy and won’t talk or leave my sight.

Jessie: Do you sew or quilt?
Dani: Never have! But I’ve seen some patterns that make me want to learn how to sew. I love the Emmaline dress and want to make it for Riya!

Jessie: What is your favorite collection here right now and why?
Dani: Whenever I’m packaging shipments and see the Bohemian Rhapsody Fat Quarter Set in turquoise come through, it makes me want to make something with it. I LOVE the blues and turquoises with the metallic gold in it—so pretty!

Bohemian Rhapsody by Greta Lynn for Benartex

Thank you, Dani, for sharing your story with us!

1 comment:

  1. Your drawings are amazing and your daughter is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete