Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Why I am Thankful for My Sewing Machine and Rotary Cutter

It's Jessie here. What did you do last weekend? I cleaned out my garage. There were two boxes in there that had been sitting unpacked ever since my husband and I moved back to my hometown over three years ago.

And guess what I found in one of them?


My great-great or maybe even great-great-great-grandma hand-pieced this Lone Star over 100 years ago.


And that is why I am thankful for my sewing machine and rotary cutter!

I can't even imagine cutting out all those pieces by hand. Hand-sewing is something that I don't have a lot of patience for either so I would probably have twice as many WIPs (Works In Progress) if I lived 100 years ago. Maybe my great-great-grandma didn't have patience for hand-sewing either since this quilt top is still unfinished!

I'm not really a purple-orange-turquoise kind of girl, so I'm at a loss for how to use this quilt top. I would love to see it finished, but I don't know how I would incorporate it into my decor.

If you are a purple-orange-turquoise kinda of girl (or guy), you can find the colors used in the Lone Star in Clothworks' American Made Brand Solids collection. There are over 40 colors in the collection, so if another color combination suits you better, you'll be able to find it here too!

American Made Brand Solids - Purple - Made In USA
American Made Brand Solids - Purple - Made In USA

American Made Brand Solids - Dark Orange - Made In USA
American Made Brand Solids - Dark Orange - Made In USA

American Made Brand Solids - Dark Turquoise - Made In USA
American Made Brand Solids - Dark Turquoise - Made In USA

Do you have any antique or heirloom quilts?
What's the oldest quilt you have and the story behind it?

Until next time,
Jessie

7 comments:

  1. I made an Amish Lone Star quilt for my oldest daughter years ago and all I can say is "Never again"! It is a beautiful quilt, but very labor intensive. Those diamonds nearly drove me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have three quilts that my great grandmother hand pieced and quilted, and two tops that she pieced. I feel like they deserve hand quilting, and I hope to get to that (probably after I retire!). I treasure all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an amazing quilt, and a keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't even imagine doing all that by hand. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I don't have any antique quilts. The oldest quilt I have is my husband's baby blanket, made for him in the 70s. My mother has a quilt made by my great grandmother. sarah@forrussia.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that even though the colors might not be your cup of tea, hang it up anyways and enjoy it! You might be surprised how well it might fit in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have my baby quilt my mom and grandmother made for me of embroidered Disney characters - Love it! that was 62 years ago!

    ReplyDelete